Supporters of the doctrine believe legislatures should be permitted to set their own rules with respect to federal elections without hindrance from state constitutions. The filing from the Justice Department comes, specifically, with respect to a redistricting dispute based out of North Carolina.
Estimated reading time: 0 minutes, 24 seconds
DOJ Files Brief Asking SCOTUS to Reject Controversial Election Law Doctrine
President Joe Biden’s administration filed a brief asking the Supreme Court to reject the “independent state legislature doctrine” promulgated by those who sought to overturn the 2020 presidential election results. So reports CNN.
Latest from Progressive Law Practice
- California Bar Points to Eastman’s Contact with Pence in New Ethics Charges
- Fireball Maker Under Fire in Class-action Suit Alleging Misleading Labeling
- ChatGPT Skates By On Law Exam with C+ Grade
- Janitor Caught Urinating in Water Bottles Arrested, Employers Facing Lawsuit
- AI-powered Defender Faces Major Backlash from Legal Community