Presently, there are 224 such attorneys accepting child protection and court-appointment cases. That number is down from 410 such attorneys in May of 2019. The number of cases requiring indigent legal services has risen from an average of close to 26,500 to 31,257, contributing to the growing issue.
Estimated reading time: 0 minutes, 22 seconds
Scarcity of Indigent Legal Services in Maine a Growing Concern
Maine is facing a dearth of criminal defense attorneys for individuals who cannot afford to hire their own. So reports the Bangor Daily News.
Latest from Progressive Law Practice
- Biden’s Student Loan Forgiveness Plan Facing Another Legal Challenge
- NRA Unsuccessful Again in Getting Judge to Dismiss NYAG Lawsuit
- School, Gun-maker Negligent in Uvalde Shooting: Parents' Lawsuit
- Newsom Signs Laws to Make Calif. Residential Development Easier
- Homicide Charges Expected in 'Rust' Shooting: Santa Fe DA