The bill, which essentially eliminates child marriages in New York, was named after a 13-year-old bride who was forced into marriage. Recently, several other states passed similar legislation including New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Minnesota and Delaware.
Estimated reading time: 0 minutes, 22 seconds
Cuomo Signs 'Nalia's Law' Raising Age of Marriage Consent to 18 in New York
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo made official a new provision raising the legal age of marriage consent to 18 after he signed the recently passed “Nalia's Law.” So reports NBC News.
Latest from Progressive Law Practice
- Cali Moves Closer to Trained Paraprofessional Legal Counseling
- Trump Family Legal Drama Continues: Donald Takes Niece, NYT to Court
- Washington State Workers Push Back Against Vaccine Mandate in New Court Filing
- Chauvin, For Now, Representing Himself in George Floyd Murder Appeal
- 'Jane Doe' Refiles Sex Abuse Accusations Against Marilyn Manson