The newborn was ultimately murdered by his father, who had regained custody of the child, shortly after the baby was taken from the McFarland's. The McFarlands claim Rieper led them to believe he had obtained an important "release-of-custody" signature from the birth mother, which apparently they had not. Rieper's conduct was found to be negligent, but did not meet the state's thresh hold for "emotional distress damages."
Estimated reading time: 0 minutes, 33 seconds
Iowa Appeals Court Reverses $3.25M Award Against Lawyer in Adoption Case
The Iowa Court of Appeals overturned a $3.25 million award designated for Rachel and Heidi McFarland, who sued their attorney, Jason Rieper, for allegedly mishandling their adoption attempt. So reports the Des Moines Register.
Latest from Progressive Law Practice
- AP Students Hit College Board with $500M Suit Over New Online Exams
- Kendall Jenner Settles Allegations Over Controversial Fyre Festival Promo
- Tara Reade's Attorneys Dump Her Amid Credibility Concerns
- Judge Tosses Challenge to Michigan’s 'State of Emergency'
- NFL Player Sues Airline After Passenger Grabs His Crotch, Pulls Off His Mask