The board said Serranus Clinton Hastings, who founded the school, “helped orchestrate and finance campaigns by white settlers in Mendocino County to kill and enslave members of the Yuki Indian tribe.” As such, the board is seeking to rename the school as the College of the Law San Francisco.
Estimated reading time: 0 minutes, 28 seconds
UC Hastings Law Board Votes to Change Name Amid Accusations Against Founder
UC Hastings College of the Law, which boasts notable alumni like U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris and ex-San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown, will turn to the state Legislature seeking to change its name. So reports Oregon Live.
Latest from Progressive Law Practice
- Biden’s Student Loan Forgiveness Plan Facing Another Legal Challenge
- NRA Unsuccessful Again in Getting Judge to Dismiss NYAG Lawsuit
- School, Gun-maker Negligent in Uvalde Shooting: Parents' Lawsuit
- Newsom Signs Laws to Make Calif. Residential Development Easier
- Homicide Charges Expected in 'Rust' Shooting: Santa Fe DA